Prompt Question #4: Through out her article Daum mentions the word "we" multiple times. I believe she is referring to the teenage population.To all the teenagers who are having sexual intercourse without protection and are at risks of getting a sexual transmitted disease such as AIDS. She includes herself because she mentions that some night she goes to parties and she swears she is not going to do anything with a guy but it ends up happening. She has been tested for HIV three times. I bet a lot teenagers in our generation are just like her. They go to parties and drink and they end up doing stuff they regret the next morning. These irresponsible teenagers have sexual intercourse with strangers. They don't know what kind of sexual transmitted disease the stranger is carrying. Teenagers nowadays do anything to have fun but this fun leads to tragedy. I do not see myself as part of this "we" because I am a responsible young adult. I know how to differentiate the good from the bad and I know how to protect myself. I am not the kind of person that goes out to parties and drinks and does crazy stuff. Therefore i do not see myself as part of this "we".
Thesis: In this article Meghan Daum states that teenagers nowadays are taking the matter of sex too lightly. She talks about how teenagers know that having sexual intercourse without protection is a huge risk and this could cause them to contract AIDS but even though they know how this could affect their lives, they are still having sex without protection. Meghan says "we vow to protect ourselves, and intend to stick by that, until we don't", this quote proves how teenagers say they will say protected but it doesn't happen.
I agree that teenagers are more worried about the "fun" part of going out than they are about the safe part. Teenagers don't seem to realize how naive their actions can be until something actually happens. They are irresponsible and aren't taking these warnings of AIDS and STD's seriously. I would not consider myself in the "we" category either because I make sure I know my surroundings and not to be stupid. The sooner one is aware of the consequences and how detrimental they can be to one's life, the sooner one can think smarter.
ReplyDelete