Thursday, October 3, 2013

Universities Seeing a Gender Gap in Enrollments

Prompt Question #3: I do not think Cruz's reasons are legitimate and well thought-out because I believe that going to college and gaining a degree will get you much further in life than just working at any job. One of my friends back at home, he decided to not go to college after school because he said going to college was too much. He would say that it was hard for him to manage work and school. He said he enjoyed making money than paying for his education. He believed that soon he was going to become manager and that he would earn more money than if he had a degree. He was wrong, a year past and he was fired from the pizzeria he was working at. He missed a year of college and now he works delivering food, he works with a taxi company, he does little jobs that don't really pay much. His decision of not continuing school was really wrong. When he told me he didn't want to go to college I was shocked, he is a hard working, smart guy. I knew he would of mad it far in life. If I was Cruz's friend I wold tell him the same thing I told my friend. "You need to continue your studies, this little jobs are temporary, once you earn your degree you can work doing what you really love. With a degree if you get fired in one job you can go find another one easily but without a degree its more difficult to find a job. Yes I know college is difficult but we need to go through many obstacles to succeed in life."

Thesis: The thesis of this essay is that many men are not attending college. In many colleges around the country the female population and female enrollment is much bigger than the male enrollment. "At Barry University, only 28% of the undergraduate students are men." "Researchers believe women are more likely than men to enter college later in life." These two quotes demonstrate that men are less likely to attend college than women.

1 comment:

  1. It is true that you should get a degree to try and find a good job in a real career but I don't agree that it is easy to find a job with one. In this economy and population crisis, it is really hard to get a job. This is one of the reasons I believe Cruz was not completely making a bad decision. Also, college is really expensive, so if he was making better money than a college student then I think he is successful. Maybe college life isn't for everybody but I believe college is great learning experience and also a nice way to mature. If one can afford it they should attend school but if they are better off without it then they might be just fine.

    ReplyDelete