Thursday, October 17, 2013

Making Connections

Prompt #2: One story about myself that I believe it could be useful or meaning to someone might be telling them about how far I've come since I got to the United States. When I got here when I was 10 years old I didn't know how English, I have to overcome many obstacles to get to where I am today. I had to work really hard. It took me about a year and a half to learn English fluently, It was very difficult going to school and not understand 100% of the stuff the teacher was saying. I had very thankful teachers that helped me get past all those obstacles and I also had my parents who were there for me. My first 2 years of being here were the hardest, I would cry and I would feel like giving up, I would feel like couldn't do it anymore. People verbally attacked with racist comments. They have always looked at me differently because I’m not from here. All these comments hurt me but also they made me stronger. They motivated me to keep going and never give up because I knew that if I worked hard,I was going to make it far. Since I never gave up here I am, attending a good university, on my way to earn my bachelor's degree. I am making something of my life. I feel like my story would be helpful because someone my age or younger who came from another country could relate to me, coming here not knowing much but with a goal in mind, a goal of making it far in life. They need to know that everything is possible if you set your mind to it.

1 comment:

  1. I think it is really cool that you came from another country at the age of 10 because I would have never guessed that. You really blend in. That is also pretty cool that you know 2 languages. I know that I tried learning Spanish 2 years ago and it was so hard and frustrating. I couldn't get it fluently after 4 years of taking it! It is true though that you can never give up on yourself and must persevere through the tough times. If you do this, then you will always get results.

    ReplyDelete